Innovation at Aurora Health Care
Are you on a mission to transform health? StartUp Health and Aurora Health Care, one of the nation’s leading not-for-profit health care systems, are expanding their partnership to adopt and implement new innovations and solutions within Aurora’s provider and patient communities.
Over the past year, StartUp Health and Aurora Health Care have been working together to accelerate the discovery and integration of new technologies into an entire health care system while working alongside entrepreneurs who are driving the movement to transform health.
Through this call for innovations, StartUp Health and Aurora Health Care are looking for startups to build a Personalized Population Health Platform for Aurora Health Care’s provider and patient community.
“The Aurora and StartUp Health collaboration is supercharging how quickly we are able to bring the best new health technologies to people in our community. We’re looking forward to working with the next generation of Health Transformers to help create the Personalized Population Health Platform of the future.” Michael Rodgers, Director of Innovation, Aurora Health Care
What Is Personalized Population Health?
Traditional population health approaches are reactive, costly and treat every patient the same. However, the reality is that every individual is unique.
Because of the huge strides medical innovation has taken over the last five years, hospital systems have the opportunity to recognize that every person requires unique varieties of care based on their lifestyles and circumstances.
Personalized Population Health is a transformative approach in healthcare that begins with a single person. By incorporating a comprehensive set of proactive, data-driven measures that span the entire continuum of value-based care, Personalized Population Health has the ability to drastically improve individual health outcomes in a scalable fashion.
StartUp Health and Aurora Health Care will bring together the innovations necessary to build a platform capable of accomplishing this mission.
Care Components & Criteria
Assess - Develop and identify the health landscape of people in the community using multiple data streams, from psychosocial to financial systems
Engage - Intervene and engage with people in the community to collect data on their specific situation and build a comprehensive patient profile outside of using a smartphone or assumed data points/identifiers
Pathways - Use analytics to predict an ideal plan, build personalized pathways for the population based on individual patient profiles
Manage & Prevent - Leverage existing community and hospital programs and connect people to internal and external resources that enable them to live happier, healthier lives
Sustain - By knowing what is working and what is not for patients and people within the community, create pathways to better reflect individual lives and help in the transition to healthier lifestyles
Enrollment in the StartUp Health Academy, a long-term entrepreneurial coaching program supporting companies through the biggest challenges and opportunities during each phase of their startup.
- Quarterly Workshops to step back every 90 days and assess your progress and growth
- Weekly Action Plan Sessions on customer development, capital raising, team building and brand
- Weekly Feedback Sessions focused on your story, traction and deals
- Joining the Health Transformer Community, a trusted peer network of 250+ entrepreneurs
- Monthly hangouts and dinners
- Access to Network Access Sessions, weekly pitches to customers, investors and industry experts
- Access to Aurora’s internal commercialization, IT and Innovation teams
- Assigned internal physician champion at Aurora
- Shepherd testing of existing product / service through Aurora to determine problem / solution fit
- Ability to define and co-develop new features for product rollout within Aurora
- Opportunity to operationalize existing and newly-created offerings throughout Aurora
- Promotion to over 100K subscribers across social media channels, StartUp Health weekly newsletter and StartUp Health NOW, a weekly video podcast
- Thought leadership and promotional opportunities through events, social media, newsletters and other digital mediums
- Access to the StartUp Health Academy App, an internal proprietary platform that contains exclusive industry intel, individual and company profiles of key digital health stakeholders, and frictionless ability to collaborate with the StartUp Health Community
- Access to $500K+ in perks and discounts
- StartUp Health Insights, a comprehensive database of digital health funding, tracking $18B+ in total digital health investment and 8K+ digital health startups since 2010
Application Process + Timeline
- The current StartUp Health + Aurora call for innovations is closed
- You can apply to the StartUp Health Moonshot Academy on a rolling admissions basis
- What is the StartUp Health Academy?
For entrepreneurs who are transforming healthcare, the StartUp Health Academy is a lifetime program for every stage of company growth that provides coaching, community, access and promotion to each of our Health Transformers. StartUp Health Academy’s full-time team of entrepreneur coaches provide unparalleled programming and access to relationships for every stage of a company’s lifecycle. Visit StartUp Health Academy & watch the Academy Overview for more information.
- Do I have to relocate my company or be somewhere specific to participate?
It is strongly preferred that companies participating in the Aurora and StartUp Health Program be located in the United States or be willing to relocate and incorporate in the United States. International startups are encouraged to apply to the StartUp Health Academy outside of this Program.
- Are current StartUp Health Academy companies eligible to apply?
Companies that have previously applied to (or are already in) the StartUp Health Academy will be considered for this opportunity and should complete a new application by the July 20 deadline.
- How does the application process work?
The application is online and includes questions about your business and team. All applications should be submitted in English. Apply here. Even if your company is not initially selected, you may be considered for a future theme, so we encourage you to stay in touch and update your application.
- How detailed does my idea need to be in the application? Will you keep my information private?
We specifically discourage applicants from submitting formal business plans or anything that you may deem proprietary or confidential. The information you share will be reviewed by representatives from Aurora Health Care and StartUp Health as part of the application review process but otherwise will be kept private.
- How does the review and selection process work?
The StartUp Health team will manage the review and selection process. The team will review all applications and narrow the applicant pool down based on application responses and considerations set forth in the Program criteria. Top applicants will undergo further review by both Aurora Health Care and StartUp Health, who will then select companies to invite to the Aurora Health Care and StartUp Health Academy Program.
- Will Aurora Health Care invest capital in my company as part of this Program?
As your company progresses, there may be opportunities for investment, although this is not guaranteed.
- What is the cost to joining this Program?
There is no cash cost for the Program, however selected companies who join the Program must share between 2-8% equity ownership with StartUp Health LLC based on the stage of your company when you enter the Program.
- Does Aurora Health Care or StartUp Health retain the intellectual property (IP) my company develops during the program?
No. Neither Aurora nor StartUp Health will retain IP developed by the participating companies. The IP developed by a participating company is retained by the company.
- Is a participating company's product or service guaranteed to be used or distributed by Aurora?
There are no guarantees for this, however, enrollment in the Program may grant access and visibility with Aurora’s Innovation Council, which makes strategic decisions with respect to potential solutions to evaluate and commercialize. While the goal of the Program is for participating companies to develop products and services that can ultimately be leveraged by Aurora, Aurora makes no guarantees that any product or service of a participating company will be purchased, licensed or distributed by Aurora.
Personal information submitted in conjunction with your application to the the Aurora Health Care and StartUp Health Academy Program is controlled by StartUp Health, LLC, and will be used by StartUp Health and Aurora Health Care reviewers for the purpose of evaluating your application to the Program. Personal information may be stored outside your country. StartUp Health will not sell or otherwise disclose personal information about applicants except as described here.
We may share information provided by applicants with service providers we have retained to perform services on our behalf. These service providers are contractually restricted from using or disclosing the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements.
While we generally do not share applicant information without your consent, in certain circumstances we may share select information provided by applicants with StartUp Health partners and affiliates for evaluation purposes, however such partners and/or affiliates will be contractually restricted from using or disclosing the information except as necessary for such purpose and/or or to comply with legal requirements.
We may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (ii) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials, (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary and appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity or (iv) if this is necessary to protect the vital interests of your company.
Applicants can log in to update, edit or delete information on their application at any time. StartUp Health will securely store and retain your application. However, you may choose to edit or delete information on your application at any time during this period. Once you delete information from your application it cannot be restored or retrieved.
StartUp Health maintains administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect against unauthorized disclosure, use, alteration or destruction of the personal information you provide on this site and employs reasonable technologies to help keep the personal information you provide on this site secure.
This site is not directed at children under the age of 13 and all services available on this site are intended to be used by individuals over 18 years of age. We do not knowingly collect, maintain or store personal information, via this site or otherwise, from children under 13 years of age.
We reserve the right to change or update this notice from time to time. Please check this site periodically for such changes.
If you have any questions or comments about these terms or if you need help updating your information or your preferences, please contact us.