StartUp Health Receives Two Year Grant from Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to Accelerate Health Innovation in Underserved Communities
The StartUp Health Education Program for Entrepreneurs will educate health technology innovators by focusing on markets that often don’t have early access to new healthcare technologies.
New York, New York – December 2, 2013 – StartUp Health, a global startup platform accelerating digital health and wellness innovation, has received a $500,000 grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) to educate healthcare startups and improve health and wellness in underserved communities.
The StartUp Health Education Program for Entrepreneurs will launch in stages over the next two years, and provide a scalable platform that will help educate thousands of emerging health technology entrepreneurs on how to accelerate and scale their businesses by focusing on markets that often don’t have early access to new healthcare technologies. The long-term initiative will create free resources for startups such as an online curriculum, educational tools and an expert network, and will make it easier for digital health entrepreneurs to develop pilot programs in these underserved communities and build products and services to meet the unique needs of these communities.
“The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation has made it possible for StartUp Health to create a scalable program to educate a generation of health innovators about opportunities in underserved communities,” said Unity Stoakes, President and co-founder of StartUp Health. “This partnership comes at a critical moment, because the new solutions being created over the coming years must address the needs of these communities in order to truly transform healthcare. Together we will lay a sustainable foundation that will better connect entrepreneurs and underserved markets, and speed up the cycle of innovation.”
“StartUp Health will bring innovation to the providers and patients who are too often overlooked in product and customer development strategies,” said Paul Tarini, Senior Program Officer at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. “This program will create a roadmap for how health entrepreneurs can connect with underserved communities.”
Highlights of the StartUp Health Education Program for Entrepreneurs include:
- An open database of needs and opportunities in underserved communities that will be available free to entrepreneurs and startups.
- An advisor network of community experts who will mentor entrepreneurs on emerging business models and the unique opportunities within underserved communities.
- A scalable online curriculum and resource center that will include an educational podcast and video library.
- Ongoing outreach and awareness to underserved communities interested in access to new technologies.
About StartUp Health
Startup Health, a global startup platform accelerating digital health and wellness innovation, represents a new model for helping entrepreneurs succeed in the health sector. StartUp Health is on a mission to inspire, educate, and provide access for 1,000 digital health startups to reimagine and transform healthcare by 2020. The StartUp Health platform includes the StartUp Health Academy, the StartUp Health Network and the StartUp Health Innovation Fund. StartUp Health was founded by health tech entrepreneurs Steven Krein and Unity Stoakes and is chaired by former Time Warner CEO, Jerry Levin. The organization’s investors include leading health, technology, and business minds: Mark Cuban, Esther Dyson, Roger Ehrenberg, Brad Feld, Richard Forman, Jason Finger, Linda Holliday, Jon Kaplan, Howard Krein, MD, PhD, Jon Miller, Jeff Stewart and Wayne Kimmel. Learn more and apply at startuphealth.com and follow @startuphealth.
About Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation focuses on the pressing health and health care issues facing our country. As the nation’s largest philanthropy devoted exclusively to health and health care, the Foundation works with a diverse group of organizations and individuals to identify solutions and achieve comprehensive, measurable, and timely change. For more than 40 years the Foundation has brought experience, commitment, and a rigorous, balanced approach to the problems that affect the health and health care of those it serves. When it comes to helping Americans lead healthier lives and get the care they need, the Foundation expects to make a difference in your lifetime. For more information, visit http://www.rwjf.org. Follow the Foundation on Twitter at http://www.rwjf.org/twitter or on Facebook at http://www.rwjf.org/facebook.
Original Press Release
StartUp Health will coach healthcare startups on how to help underserved communities MedCity News
StartUp Health Receives $500k Grant From Robert Wood Johnson Foundation HIT Consultant
What do mobile health and underserved populations have to offer each other? MobiHealthNews
StartUp Health Gets Two Year Grant From The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation To Accelerate Health Innovation For Underserved Communities HealthTechZone
We are delighted to offer complimentary passes to UP 2013!
What makes the UP 2013 experience so valuable? Most attendees agree that it starts with the unrivalled industry leadership and global expertise of our cloud community.
This year’s event in Santa Clara on December 3 features dozens of renowned speakers and industry buyers delivering an intensive one day immersion in strategic Healthcare IT and Cloud.
Hundreds of Healthcare IT leaders from the world’s top organizations have already finalized their plans to attend UP 2013 this December, and now you should too!
Take advantage today and secure one of the complimentary tickets exclusively allocated to members of the StartUp Health community.
What’s included in your free package:
- Customized Healthcare IT and Cloud agenda for your Business or IT role
- Mastermind keynotes from cloud leaders including Dell, IBM, Intel, Ericsson
- Exclusive sessions with thought-provoking content
- Access the world’s leading solution providers through networking receptions and meetings
- Take part in onsite voting for the 2013 UP Start Cloud Awards Finals
- Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks, and Drinks throughout the day
Cerora, a StartUp Health Company, Wins 2nd Place in Ben Franklin Tech Ventures “Venture Idol” Competition
Cerora, Inc., a member of the StartUp Health and GE Entrepreneurship Program, today announced that they received more than one third the vote, to take second place in Thursday evening’s Ben Franklin Tech Ventures prestigious “Venture Idol” competition. Adam Simon, founder of Cerora, presented the company’s business plan in a cross between TV’s Shark Tank® and American Idol®, including plans for Cerora’s real-time bio-sensor-based brain assessment technology, which is intended to rapidly provide objective data on concussions “near the playing field” where they occur.
The day started with a field of 10 start-up companies with the last set of presentations judged by a panel of top venture capital executives, including Glen Bressner (Originate Ventures) and Brett Topche (MentorTech Ventures). Cerora ranked 2nd of the three evening finalists as voted by the audience of 225 start-up ecosystem investors and members. The company will receive its share of the $15,000 prize money.
“It is gratifying to receive such support for Cerora’s mission to make a significant positive impact on brain health assessment globally,” said Adam Simon, founder and CEO of Cerora. “We’ve been working hard to build our MindReader™ technology to provide objective measures that can rapidly assist in concussion and traumatic brain injury diagnoses ‘near the field,’ and this recognition is a significant step toward attracting the funding required to complete the job and fully commercialize our inventions.”
Cerora continues to collaborate with Lehigh University Sports Medicine on concussion assessment and return-to-play decisions (topline results anticipated in early 2014). In addition, it will continue to meet biomarker discovery and compound monitoring service contracts in place as it prepares its first software offering for commercial launch in early 2014.
Cerora’s Development of Objective Measures of Brain Function
Cerora is developing software and hardware technologies so that brain injury can be evaluated quickly and accurately. The company is investigating how to move from “subjective” brain evaluations to decisions empowered with objective brain biosensor data that can be delivered rapidly as well as delivered right near the location where the patient urgently needs it. These results would mean that certified athletic trainers, medics, nurses, or affiliated healthcare professionals could possibly avoid the subjective judgments that might wrongly put brain-injured athletes “back in the game” or active military personnel “back in harm’s way.”
About Cerora, Inc.
Based at Ben Franklin Tech Ventures’ business accelerator at Lehigh University’s Mountaintop Campus in Bethlehem, PA, and one of 13 companies selected out of over 400 plus that applied to the GE / StartUp Health Entrepreneur Program, Cerora has assembled a team of experienced healthcare and IT executives to manage the commercialization of its proprietary bio-sensor-based brain evaluation technologies, software, and hardware. To learn more please visit www.cerora.com as well as see the recent profile published in Elsevier Business Intelligence’s STARTUP magazine.
Investor Relations Contact:
The 5th annual mHealth Summit is just a few weeks away, and StartUp Health is excited to once again be involved with this exciting event.
Hosted by StartUp Health, the StartUp ‘Mobile’ Health Pavilion is a three-day showcase of 30 innovative startups that are impacting mobile health. These transformative mHealth technologies address markets including care coordination, social health, delivery and point of care, patient-provider engagement, telehealth, and mental and brain health. From a pool of over 60 applications, this year’s Pavilion participants include:
- @Point of Care360 is a continually updated point-of-care reference tool and platform for clinicians, which interfaces with customized real-time patient-care journals.
- 1EQ leverages both genetics and lifestyle information, provided through wireless devices and mobile apps, to produce a more comprehensive health picture and actionable steps for its users to live a better and healthier life.
- AdhereTech has created a patented smart pill bottles that increase medication adherence. These bottles measure the exact number of pills or liquid, wirelessly send this HIPAA-compliant data into the cloud, and send patients reminders via call or text.
- AppwoRx is a mobile health solutions company focused on increasing patient engagement and provider collaboration through mobile and cloud based clinical photography, secure messaging, and patient referral management.
- Breezie makes it possible for digitally isolated older adults to enjoy the social, commercial, and health benefits of being online. This innovative, UK-based company is pioneering the use of smart analytics to develop personalized, touch screen interfaces for older adults. These smart interfaces can be created and managed by family or care givers remotely and can seamlessly integrate a wide range of aging-in-place technologies and third party health services.
- Caremerge is a HIPAA compliant mobile/web app that allows care providers, families, and patients to exchange information to facilitate timely care coordination and transitions.
- Cerora is focused on developing and commercializing affordable and accessible neuro-diagnostic information. Cerora offers an objective, accurate, and affordable diagnostic tool to physicians, Certified Athletic Trainers, nurses, and emergency medical technicians to aid them in the diagnosis and management of concussion and Alzheimer’s disease.
- eCaring is the only care management system generating a comprehensive personal health record for seniors and those with chronic conditions living at home, integrating behavioral and clinical data in real-time.
- Edamam provides cost-effective, on-the-fly nutritional analysis and diet labeling to businesses and consumers through its proprietary semantic food and nutrition knowledge database and natural processing algorithms.
- GoGoHealth provides a mobile app and website for providers to setup virtual clinics. GoGoHealth lets patients report and find relief from common ailments and discomforts from their healthcare providers without visiting the doctor’s office. Healthcare providers are better able to manage the costs associated with such unnecessary visits.
- iRxReminder is a smartphone-based system for data gathering and monitoring stops dropout to raise compliance in clinical studies.
- LionsGate Technologies is a mobile application that measures and monitors vital signs using standard medical sensors with any mobile device, providing ultra-low cost vital signs monitoring applications in mHealth.
- The online M3 Screen is a private, self-rated checklist for potential mood and anxiety symptoms.
- The Medicast web and mobile platform providers consumers with 24-hour-on-demand medical services, including delivering high quality, compassionate doctors directly to a patient’s home, office, or hotel.
- Medivo is a health monitoring company for physicians and their patients. The platform collects subjective and objective clinical data from labs, apps, and devices to help physicians provide better care and helps patients monitor their health better.
- MediVu is leading the change in health information technology by seamlessly connecting clinicians to patient information buried in their electronic medical record (EMR) and other systems.
- Mobile Health One services unify all healthcare professionals and patients no matter where they are to securely communicate, which improves patient care and reduces cost of care.
- Practice Unite is the first mobile app designed to address one of the most critical issues in US Healthcare – Hospital-Physician relationships. Practice Unite connects physicians, hospital staff and the hospital system administration in real-time using secure text messaging, which reduces the cost of delays.
- RxApps supplements standard management of chronic illness using customizable text message prompts to track patient health, experience, and behavior metrics that influence outcomes.
- Sense Health unlocks the potential of mobile health support for patients by giving healthcare professionals a mobile platform to easily create, deliver, and monitor interactive support plans for their patients in between appointments.
- The SensiMAT for wheelchairs is the first and only mobile application that can facilitate pressure relieving behavior. The SensiMAT for Wheelchairs is a thin mat containing pressure sensors that is inserted underneath your gel, air, or foam cushion. These sensors send pressure data to your mobile device, where SensiMAT System’s proprietary PressureRisk™ algorithm alerts you when you have a high amount of built up pressure, and facilitates and tracks your pressure relieving exercises.
- Social Code is a patient engagement and behavior change platform for the prevention and management of chronic disease.
- TelePharm is a turnkey telepharmacy solution that dramatically reduces labor costs, human errors, and workflow inefficiencies. Telepharm enables a remote pharmacist to inspect and verify prescriptions at each telepharmacy, where accurate dispensing is ensured by onsite technicians.
- Three Pound creates brain-computer interface applications for consumers and businesses, which enables users to manage stress and anxiety with daily activities including meditation — with biofeedback from a consumer grade EEG reader — and other exercises.
- TrueVault provides HIPAA compliant storage for protected health information (PHI). TrueVault’s backend-as-a-service platform helps companies get to market faster.
- Tyto Care Ltd. is the first company to introduce a disruptive mobile-health platform for the consumer market that allows any individual to perform a full physical examination and remote diagnosis anywhere, anytime, without physically visiting a physician.
- Vheda Health is the first mobile-centric platform for chronic disease care and prevention by taking high-risk, high-cost patients and turning them into healthy ones.
- Wellet is a wellness program designed just for universities and their students. Wellet contains wellness services, contextual content, social interactivity, game dynamics and healthy behavior formation all delivered in a non-judgmental, private and personalized (mobile) delivery platform.
- Yingo Yango is a white-label, stand alone, mobile patient engagement platform that integrates ecosystems of care. The platform is designed to maximize long-term employee/ patient engagement, reduce readmissions, as well as brand clients as health minded, patient centric, and caring organizations.
- Zoeticx creates synergy for healthcare resources to ensure the right actionable medical information flow in support of patient care coordination.
Other highlights of the mHealth Summit include:
Sunday, December 8, 9:30 AM – 7:00 PM
The Venture+ Forum offers a unique platform for showcasing transformative technology and for exploring investment opportunities to bring healthcare innovations to market. The event will spotlight new and emerging mobile health companies, showcase diverse funding sources, and offer opportunities for networking with several hundred investors and innovators in mobile health and health information technology.
Business Model Innovation – The Competitive Advantage in Healthcare
Sunday, December 8, 4:40 – 5:30 PM
In this interactive session during the Venture+ Forum, StartUp Health Co-founder & President Unity Stoakes will moderate a distinguished panel as they share their experiences and insights into the emerging trends in business model innovation. By taking the innovation “learnings” from outside of healthcare, the discussion will consider how these trends could be used in the dynamic healthcare environment to yield competitive advantages.
FireSide Chat: The Reimagination of Healthcare
Monday, December 9, 9:45 – 10:45 AM
StartUp Health Co-founder & CEO Steven Krein will moderate a fireside chat featuring Steve Case and Esther Dyson – two luminary figures in the entrepreneur/investor space. Don’t miss this dynamic exchange which will explore how the golden age of entrepreneurship is creating an innovation landscape for entrepreneurs and investors never been seen before in healthcare.
The New Startup Landsape: Finding Investment and Building Your Business
Tuesday, December 10, 3:45 – 4:45 PM
StartUp Health Co-founder & President Unity Stoakes will take part in a panel discussion on finding investments and building your business. This panel will explore the latest in business model development, funding, and launch strategies for healthcare startups –- from partnering with business incubators and accelerators to raising funds through alternatives sources, such as angel investors, new crowdfunding websites, or a growing number of competitions and innovation challenges, which often offer enough reward dollars to get started.
Beyond Lucid Technologies, a StartUp Health Company, Selected as Semi-Finalist in City of San Francisco Startup Program
The San Francisco Mayor’s Office has launched an innovative Entrepreneurship-in-Residence program. Hundreds of startups from around the country applied, and the city has narrowed the pool down to just 11 companies. StartUp Health portfolio company Beyond Lucid Technologies is one of the world-class applicants selected for the semi-finalist round.
The idea is to bring in fresh minds from the entrepreneurial tech community to help solve many of the problems that commonly face cities. The 11 semi-finalists will present their product and team at San Francisco City Hall in front of City of San Francisco department leaders. The final group of three to five companies will be announced in January 2014.
See more information about this ground-breaking program:
See the 11 Companies Who Made it to Our EIR Semi-Finalist Round SF Mayor’s Office of Civic Innovation
San Francisco becomes testing ground for civic startups Upstart Business Journal
San Francisco Mayor’s Office Unveils 11 Finalists For Entrepreneurship-in-Residence Program TechPresident
Attention startups and entrepreneurs: TEDMED, in association with the StartUp Health Network, is excited to announce the kickoff of The Hive 2014. We officially welcome your nominations and applications now through January 22, 2013.
Are you an entrepreneur heading up a transformative startup and think you should be part of The Hive? If so, we encourage you to apply today.
Additionally, we invite you to nominate startups and entrepreneurs that you believe should be part of The Hive’s second-annual gathering taking place at TEDMED 2014.
Exciting innovations are challenging the status quo across health and medicine in areas like biotech, health IT, mHealth, life sciences, health tech, and more. TEDMED celebrates the ideas behind this progress in The Hive – an immersive and informal social environment dedicated to exploring and showcasing transformative startups and the inspiring entrepreneurs that power them. At TEDMED 2014, the community will be exposed to leaders of today and future leaders of tomorrow, celebrating the new possibilities that emerge from our collective or “hive” mind.
Technology Platform Streamlining Benefits Management Now Available to Clients of Leading Insurance Brokerage
Maxwell Health (Maxwell), an easy-to-use, web-based platform for managing employee benefits, has entered a strategic partnership with Hub International Limited (Hub), a leading global insurance brokerage firm, enabling Hub clients access to Maxwell’s easy-to-use portal to manage their full range of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, COBRA administration, HRA/HSA, FSA, and 401(k). The partnership also enables Hub clients to use Maxwell-designed incentives – including the use of challenges and fitness devices – to encourage employee wellness. In addition, Hub clients can fund rewards for hitting health targets that employees can redeem at a number of high-profile retailers.
Maxwell has an innovative, two-pronged approach to lowering health care costs by empowering organizations and employees to have more control over their health plans and spending, and by introducing incentives to foster employee health. In addition, with the Affordable Care Act causing a shift in the health care landscape, Maxwell can assist employers and employees in navigating the new law effectively.
Maxwell’s platform simplifies the process of managing new and departing employees, and its enrollment dashboard enables benefits administrators to easily track employee engagement and company spending. Maxwell also lets companies with existing health and benefits plans seamlessly sync them with Maxwell’s platform without making any adjustments to their existing insurance setup. Its intuitive user interface is available on all browsers and the company’s mobile app.
“Hub International has a reputation for industry-leading innovation and service, and we’re thrilled for them to use the Maxwell platform to eliminate a lot of the HR and benefits headaches their clients face,” said Veer Gidwaney, Co-founder and CEO of Maxwell Health. “Maxwell is a turnkey solution not only for its clients but for Hub itself, as we enable the company to easily scale a sophisticated web-based solution for its clients while streamlining its ability to service existing and new customers.”
Said Ron Agypt, Chief Sales Officer, Employee Benefits, Hub International, “Maxwell’s platform is a game-changer in the marketplace – it combines the best of today’s technology with human expertise to help companies reduce the hassles of managing their benefits. This product will give Hub a strong competitive advantage and we’re excited to begin offering it to our clients, both existing and new.”
About Maxwell Health:
Based in New York, NY, and Cambridge, MA, Maxwell Health (maxwellhealth.com) is an innovative human resources platform that manages benefits and promotes employee health. The company combines a SaaS platform and a concierge service to simplify benefits, reduce insurance costs, and improve employee health. Maxwell Health is enrolled in StartUp Health Academy’s inaugural class.
About Hub International Limited:
Headquartered in Chicago, IL, Hub International Limited is a leading global insurance brokerage that provides property and casualty, life and health, employee benefits, investment and risk management products and services through offices located in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Brazil.
Hub International Limited
Director, Corporate Brand Management and Media Relations
Source: HUB International Limited
Original Press Release
Sense Health, a StartUp Health Company, Selected as Semi-Finalist in Merck | Heritage Provider Network Innovation Challenge
After careful review by the independent panel of judges, The Merck | Heritage Provider Network Innovation Challenge today announced their five semi-finalists. Sense Health, a StartUp Health portfolio company, was among the five selected for this exciting opportunity. Each of the semi-finalists will receive $20,000 to refine the prototype of their solution to support patients with diabetes and/or heart disease in adhering to their care plans.
Over the next six weeks, a team of mentors will work with each of the semi-finalists to iterate and refine their product or service. In January, there will be a demo day and two finalists will be chosen. Those two finalists will each receive an additional $20,000 to conduct a month-long pilot program facilitated by the Heritage Provider Network. In March, one grand prize winner will be selected and receive $100,000.
Good luck to all the teams!